How Often Should I Get My House Inspected for Termites?
The termites are very small yet very powerful creatures that can eat 24-7. If not stopped, they can cause serious damage to homes without giving a sign. They are considered to be the most invasive and destructive of all insects and they have an amazing reproductive capability. A termite queen can lay an egg every 3 seconds and more than 10 million each year. In this article, we will find out more about these pests and answer the question: how often should I get my house inspected for termites?
It is estimated that termites are causing yearly economic damage of more than 300 billion dollars worldwide, and more than 100 million dollars in Australia. So even though the initial cost of treating or preventing termites may seem high, if left untreated they will cause much more damage in the long term.
On the sunshine coast of Australia, 1 in 3 homes is affected by termites. Even though they eat silently, they still give signs and we talked about them in a previous article. It is very important to take action from the first signs, not allowing the insects to cause even more damage to your property.
Termites like to feed on cellulose, so they are attracted by anything that contains this material. This includes wood, paper, cardboard, cables, wires and more. But the nasty termites are also attracted by:
– Landscaping timber
– Wood piles
– Dead trees
– Bad drainage
– Tree limbs close to the home
So if you live in Australia, chances are that you have at least one of these “termite magnets” in your home. So it is highly important to check for termites on a regular basis.
Termite inspections are crucial to the safety of your home and you should do them in any of these situations:
– Before buying a new home – the last thing you want when buying a new property is to get it infested with termites, and then to have to invest thousands of dollars into treatments and repairs. So get a termite inspection before closing the deal with the seller. If any problems are found, they should either lower the price of the home or get rid of termites before the purchase.
– Every year – most pest control companies will agree that if you are living south of the Capricorn Tropic, you should get a termite inspection every year. The hot and humid climate in this area is perfect for termites. However, the areas in Australia north of the Tropic are at an even greater risk of termite invasion. So if you’re living in these areas, you should get a termite inspection every 6 months.
Some people wait for 2 or even 5 years, but that is more than enough time for termites to settle in and cause a lot of serious structural damage. As mentioned before, a termite queen can lay up to 10 million eggs per year. Of course, not all of them will survive and eat your home, but you can still have thousands and thousands of these insects slowly eating away your property.
– When you notice a problem – you should get an inspection as soon as you notice any of the signs of termite infestation. We got more into details about each one in a previous article, but here is a quick recap of those signs:
– clicking noises
– flying termites
– termite wings
– white ants
– the timber sounds hollow
– there are small holes in the wood
– the doors and windows are hard to open or close
– mud leads
– shelter tubes
– the power fails
– you notice tunnels in wood
– you find termite droppings
– the floors, walls or ceiling are damaged
– the foundation is damaged
– the garden is damaged
– roof tiles are damaged
– Before selling your home – if you want to sell your property for the best price possible, then you need to make sure that it’s free of termites. Get an official document from the termite control company that certifies that your home is safe against these pests, and this will increase the value of your home
This depends on the way the termites were eliminated. For example, if your home has had an issue with termites in the past and a termite barrier has not been installed it will be recommended termite inspections should be carried out every 3 to 6 months unit a full termite management system is installed. But if your property has a termite barrier installed and is up to date there is no need to have a more frequent inspection.
The best type of termite barrier has a guarantee of 8 years, but you should definitely not wait that long. If the barrier was not perfectly applied, termites can still find tiny holes and cracks and enter the property. In all cases, you need to get an inspection every 12 months.
If one of your neighbours or even a far-away home has been invaded by termites, then you should definitely get an inspection as well. And especially if you don’t have a barrier installed.
These insects can travel 50 to 80 meters away from their colony, and the flying termites can get much further away. The main nest might not even be in your neighbour’s home. It might be in the home of another neighbour or even in yours.
So if you don’t have a termite barrier and one of your neighbour’s home gets attacked by termites, call us as soon as possible!
Termites like warm and humid weather. Their ideal temperature is 25-28 degrees. While in other parts of the world such temperatures can only be found in the summer, in most parts of Australia it’s warm most of the time. There are just a few weeks that are less than ideal for termites, other than that they can be active all year round. After all, they do need to eat and survive all the time.
So you shouldn’t put too much of an emphasis on the season. If you notice any signs of termites or it’s been more than a year since the last inspection, get one as soon as possible and not wait until the summer.
Get an inspection once a year, every year, in order to avoid future damage and high repair costs. A qualified technician can identify the nasty pests in their early stages, before having the chance to cause damage to your property.
A specialized company will know exactly how to inspect your property and look for clear indications of termites. We will not stop there and investigate every corner in order to find more nests, colonies or destroyed surfaces.
Early detection can save you a lot of money, so it’s better to act now than to be sorry later. Book your Safeguard Termite Inspection now by calling 07 5477 6675 or emailing email@example.com and allow us to protect your home.
There are lots of companies out there and we are among the best. Safeguard Pest Control is a family-owned and operated company that has been in business since 1989.
We have 30 years of experience and our employees are highly trained and skilled. They have great knowledge in this field and can provide great results for all types of buildings. We offer pest control solutions to both residential and commercial areas, as well as to schools and hospitals. We are using modern devices and safe substances that will not affect your health or the environment.
Our team of experts will arrive as soon as possible and will begin by inspecting the particularities of your own home. After finding the problem, we will come up with a custom action plan and we will get to work. We will accommodate your schedule and together we’ll find the right time to start the treatment.
Our treatments suit all types of homes and all budgets. Contact us today and let us help you get rid of termites! Call 07 5477 6675 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org