Even though they are so tiny, termites are very destructive pests that can eat 24-7. If not stopped, they can cause serious damage to homes, and you might not even notice it until it’s too late. They are considered to be the most invasive and destructive of all pest and they have an amazing reproductive capability. A termite queen can lay an egg every 3 seconds and more than 10 million each year. In this article, we will find out more about these pests and answer the question: when is the best time to get a termite inspection?
Termites are causing economic damage to more than 300 billion dollars worldwide and more than 100 million dollars in Australia. So the initial cost of getting a termite inspection or a treatment is well worth it compared to the huge costs that you may have in the long term.
On the sunshine coast of Australia, 1 in 4 homes is affected by termites. Even though they eat silently, they still give signs.
Signs of Termites
Here are some of the clues that might indicate that your home has termites:
– clicking noises – headbanging – flying termites – termite wings – white ants – the timber sounds hollow – there are small holes in the wood – the doors and windows are hard to open or close – mud leads – shelter tubes – the power fails – you notice tunnels in wood – you find termite droppings – the floors, walls or ceiling are damaged – the foundation is damaged – the garden is damaged – roof tiles are damaged
Do You Need Regular Termite Inspections?
The short answer is “yes”. And this especially applies if you are living in a warm and humid area that is known to offer the perfect conditions for these nasty insects. You definitely need regular termite inspections if your home was ever infested in the past, or if one of your neighbours had this issue.
If you had termites in the past and they were eliminated, it depends on the treatment method that was used to kill them. Were they just killed with a DIY termiticide? In this case, an inspection is strongly recommended, as the chances of them returning are very high.
If a termite barrier treatment was also installed, then you are safer. The best type of termite barrier has a guarantee of 8 years, but you should definitely not wait that long until your next inspection. If the barrier was not perfectly applied, termites can still find tiny holes and cracks and enter the property. This is why you should get a regular inspection every year or in some parts of Queensland, twice a year will be recommended.
When Is The Best Time To Get A Termite Inspection?
Termite inspections are crucial to the safety of your home and you should get them regularly :
– Before you buy a new home – the last thing you want when buying a new house is for it to be affected by termites, and then to invest thousands of dollars into treatments and repairs. The seller should either provide you with papers indicating when the last inspection or treatment was done, or he should agree to have an inspection done before making the deal. If any problems are found, they should either lower the price of the property or get rid of termites before the purchase
– Regular inspections – if you are living south of the Capricorn Tropic, you should get a termite inspection every year. But if you are living in the areas of Australia north of the Tropic, you are at an even greater risk of termite infection. So if you’re living in these areas, you should get a termite inspection every 6 months.
Some people go by the idea that “it won’t happen to them”, and only get an inspection every 3 or even 5 years. But that is plenty of time for termites to cause serious damage. A termite queen can lay up to 10 million eggs per year, so just imagine how many can live in your home in 5 years.
– Whenever you notice a problem – you should get an inspection as soon as you notice any of the signs of termites mentioned above
– Before selling a home – if you want to sell your property for the best price possible, then you need to make sure that it’s free of termites. Get a certification from a pest control company that your home is safe, as this can increase its value
I’ve found termites in my back yard. Do I need a termite inspection?
If you found regular or flying termites in your back yard, then you should definitely get an inspection. You might be lucky and the termites have just recently reached your home, and in this case, you will get away much cheaper. But you may also be at risk of a serious infestation, and in that case, a long term treatment and a barrier should be applied. Not to mention the repair costs of the damage that has been already done.
What Is A Termite Inspection?
A termite inspection should always be done by a certified technician working for a pest control company. They will begin by carefully inspecting your property and looking for signs of termites. Even though you already found the problem, they will still investigate the entire property, as more nests or colonies can be present.
Once all the infested spots are detected, the technician will continue by investigating which is the species of termites that are found on your property. There are multiple types of termites and thousands of species, and each one has its own particularities. For example, subterranean termites are handled in a different way than drywood termites.
Do new homes need a termite inspection?
Most new homes have a physical termite barrier installed during construction, made from special materials that prevent termites from entering concealed entry points. Ask your builder what type of physical termite barriers was installed.
But even though your home is protected, you can still have termites in your back yard. They are attracted to firewood, tree trunks, landscaping timber, cardboard boxes, documents, woodpiles, stumps, bad drainage and so on.
If tree branches are getting in contact with the roof, termites may get there and then eventually reach your home. Broken roof tiles create a moisture which attracts the pests and also provides a gateway inside. So even if you have a brand new home you should pay close attention and call a specialist as soon as you see any signs of termites.
How much does a termite inspection cost?
The cost for a standard termite inspection is $200. It might seem like a lot at first, but wait until you see the prices for termite treatments. A quick fix treatment will cost between $300 and $900 and a termite barrier will cost between $1,500 and $5000. Not to mention all the extra costs of repairing the damaged surfaces.
Just like it’s better to go to the dentist more often and treat cavities early on (instead of waiting until it hurts), it’s the same with termite inspections. It’s better to get regular checks and to treat any issue as soon as it appears, instead of waiting until it’s too late.
Safeguard Pest Control
There are lots of companies out there and we are among the best. Safeguard Pest Control is a family-owned and operated company that has been in business since 1989.
We have 30 years of experience and our employees are highly trained and skilled. They have great knowledge in this field and can provide great results for all types of buildings. We offer pest control solutions to both residential and commercial areas, as well as to schools and hospitals. We are using modern devices and safe substances that will not affect your health or the environment.
Our team of experts will arrive as soon as possible and will begin by inspecting the particularities of your own home. After finding the problem, we will come up with a custom action plan and we will get to work. We will accommodate your schedule and together we’ll find the right time to start the treatment.
Our treatments suit all types of homes and all budgets. Contact us today and let us help you get rid of termites! Call 07 5477 6675 or send us an email at email@example.com